Thursday, June 11, 2015

Walk Like a Man

So in the past six weeks I have taken up walking - to boost fitness, to lose weight, to get me out of the apartment - to fill the time when Lisle is enjoying the south.

Work is a block away, so my walk to work now includes passing it by and going down to the Royal York Hotel and back - about 5 km. A great way to start the day - 45 minutes through downtown Toronto.  Weekends are a walk to the Distillery or through the University - 8 - 10 km.

Here walking takes on a different meaning - nothing in flat, and a distance of .5 km can have the same change in height.  My routine is now to walk from our house to the green house (one of the neighbors) - maybe .25 km direct distance, but on the road 1 - 1.5 km but the first 1/2 is downhill and the second 1/2 is uphill - - including up "killer hill"  - some cars struggle on killer hill, so the walk is a challenge.  So far I need to stop halfway to catch my breathe.

Once there - turn around and head back - great downhill walk - oh ya - the last half is all uphill to home - S#*T!  There and back in 30 minutes at 6:30 am - - - too hot after that!

I have a long way to go to catch up to our neighbors who walk all over the phase - several km every day - I think it is only because they have a dog - - at least a good excuse for me!

Today - another sunny one so far - 36C - you can really feel the heat - time for a swim!!

No comments:

Post a Comment