Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Back to it - Bananas and All

So I have been remiss in blogging - seems Facebook became an easier option, but I think I will try my hand back here and see how it goes.

We have a group of banana plants out back - 6 or so.  We have had fruit from them before, but at the moment, 3 of them are actively fruiting - one in particular is ready for cutting.

New Year's Eve I noticed the top bunch was turning yellow - I said to Lisle, we need to cut that one before the birds get them.

New Year's Day came and went - no, we weren't hungover - just occupied with other stuff - window washing etc.

This afternoon, the howler monkey started up about 1:00 pm.  It is an odd time for him to howl and he was very close, so I went to look out back.

Something was in the banana plant having a feast - thought it might have been a howler - turned out to be a Pizote.  The howler was probably screeching for him to get away from the feast.

About 1/3 of the bunch chewed on.

So we went out with the Machete and hacked at the tree.  The plan was I chopped and Lisle eased the tree to the ground -  well not quite.  I chopped - Lisle said it's coming down and pushed it away from him and it crashed to the ground - bunch of bananas first.  The ripe and half chewed ones sprayed everywhere.  Managed to save about 1/3 of the bunch.  I am sure the Pizote will be back to clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment